Information – Call for Abstracts
Call for Abstracts
10th Conference on Understanding Interventions that Broaden Participation in Science Careers
Abstract Submission Deadline: December 15, 2017
Proposals are welcomed for presentation in Workshops, concurrent Symposia, Deeper Dives, and Posters on research projects and best practices highlighting all pathways to STEM careers. Abstract submissions should not exceed one page in length, and should include at least 3 references.
Abstracts are now being accepted for each of the following formats:
1. Workshops will be held on Friday, March 2, 2018. Workshops are designed to provide attendees with models, methods, and hands-on tools that can be adapted to other campuses, programs, and populations. Two types of workshops are available:
- Hands-on instructional interactive sessions (1.5 or 3 hours)
- Focused Seminar (1.5 hours) on a single topic with audience interaction.
- Both types are technical in nature (e.g., evaluation strategies, computational models), with reading materials/websites provided on-site. Workshop abstracts should include learning objectives for participants and relevant experience of the presenter(s).
2. Symposia will be held on Saturday, March 3, and Sunday, March 4, 2018 during concurrent sessions. Symposia speakers are expected to make a 20-minute presentation, each followed by a short (10 minute) open question and answer discussion period. Each speaker is allowed 30 minutes total for presentation, and each concurrent session can have 2-3 presentations. Abstracts submitted for symposia presentations should present research results and/or program outcomes that address issues of broadening participation in STEM education and careers.
- Complete symposium proposals with multiple abstracts centered on a particular title, institutional alliance, or common objective are also accepted. A parent abstract discussing the overall objective or describing the interrelation of the component abstracts, should be submitted with the first authors of each of the component abstracts listed in the author block. Titles of the component abstracts should be mentioned in the abstract body of the symposium’s parent abstract. Component abstracts should then be submitted for each presentation in the complete symposium. Each component abstract should indicate its relationship to the parent abstract.
3. Deeper Dives will be held on Saturday, March 3, and Sunday, March 4, 2018, during concurrent sessions. In cotrast to Symposia, Deeper Dives facilitate more focused discussions. Each speaker will conduct a 15-minute presentation, after which the audience participates in separate (and concurrent) 30-minute roundtable discussions, each led by a speaker.
- Abstracts submitted for Deeper Dive presentations should be overviews that describe
- (a) the focus of study and
- (b) the methodology used, and
- (c) illustrative questions/issues to be discussed in the open-ended roundtable
- All presenters are expected to provide presentation slides at least one week prior to the start of the conference. Information gleaned from the slides and presentation will be used for the conference report.
4. Posters: Presentations must fit on a 4’x4’ poster board. Abstracts for poster presentation should highlight the following components:
- Focus of the intervention—what is studied and why
- Study population—describe it and any comparison or control group
- Contextual factors—if a case study, what is adaptable; if another kind of study, what was measured and how; what limits generalization
- Outcomes of the intervention—what was found in what time frame
- Relevance to the UI community—how does the study advance theory and/or practice as described in the literature; what does it suggest as a next step.
- References—at least 3-5
The Program Committee reserves the right to move abstracts between presentation categories, e.g., Symposium to Deeper Dive, Symposium to Poster.